The Pentagon Central Command said on Tuesday that at least 16% of the U.S. troop withdrawals from Afghanistan have been completed by a quarter.
The deadline for the US military is September to withdraw 2,500 troops, 16,000 civilian contractors and hundreds of tons of equipment in Afghanistan at the beginning of this year.
Last month, U.S. President Joe Biden ordered an evacuation to end U.S. involvement in actual combat. The war began nearly 20 years ago. The war began with an attack by Al-Qaida in Afghanistan on September 11, 2001.
The Pentagon’s pace of withdrawal for security reasons is imprecise, and it does not want to expose itself or others to greater risks from Taliban insurgents or other groups opposed to the United States.
The Central Command said that since Biden’s order, it has handed over five facilities and bases to the Afghan security forces and removed the armored vehicles equivalent to 160 C-17 transport aircraft.
The transferred bases include Kandahar Airport in southern Afghanistan, which used to be the second largest US military base in the country.
The Pentagon has sent more bombers and other assets to the area to ensure that the United States and its partner NATO forces remain safe during the withdrawal.
The withdrawal did not prevent the Taliban rebels from attacking the Afghan government and its military and civilian targets.
But US officials said that these attacks did not hinder the withdrawal of troops.