Kabul: A U.S. defense official stated that the U.S. military withdrew from its main military base in Afghanistan on Friday under an agreement with the Taliban, which allowed all U.S. troops to withdraw from the country after two years of war. .
“All American soldiers and members of NATO forces have left the Bagram air base,” said the senior U.S. security official on condition of anonymity.
The U.S. military has coordinated its air war and logistical support for the war from the Bagram air base, about 60 km (40 miles) north of Kabul, and the withdrawal of the forces symbolises the end of the U.S.-led mission in Afghanistan.
The base is being handed over to the Afghan government as its armed forces face a surging war with the Taliban and questions swirl about their prospects.
An Afghan official said the base would be officially handed over to the government at a ceremony on Saturday.
The U.S. defense official stated that General Austin Miller, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, “still retains all the capabilities and powers to protect the troops stationed in the capital Kabul.”
Two other U.S. security officials said this week that most U.S. military personnel are likely to leave before July 4, and the remaining troops will continue to protect the embassy.
Last month, US President Joe Biden told his Afghan President Ashraf Ghani that “Afghans will have to decide their future and what they want.”
Ghani said that his current job is to “manage the consequences of the U.S. withdrawal.”
The agreement with the Taliban on the withdrawal of American troops was reached under the management of President Donald Trump.
In exchange for the U.S. withdrawal, the Taliban vowed to prevent any international terrorism from Afghan territory. They also promised to negotiate with their Afghan opponents, but the negotiations progressed little.