UN to host new Libya ceasefire talks after no deal in first round 1

UN to host new Libya ceasefire talks after no deal in first round

By

Cairo: After the first round of negotiations in Geneva last week were unable to reach an agreement, the United Nations said on Saturday that Libyan warring parties will continue this month to negotiate a sustainable ceasefire in the war that controls the capital Tripoli.

The United Nations chaired indirect talks between five officials of the Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Khalifa Haftar. Halifa Haftar has been trying to occupy Tripoli since April and has also held talks with internationally recognized government troops from Tripoli.

The fighting has calmed down since last month and despite continuing small-scale collisions with artillery in southern Tripoli, the LNA has failed to break through in its campaign.

The United Nations Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) stated in a statement that the parties agreed to continue the dialogue with the United Nations and proposed a follow-up meeting in Geneva on 18 February.

It said both parties hoped that the displaced would return as a result of the war, but failed to work out how to achieve this.

Neither of the parties to the conflict responded immediately.

UNSMIL has not provided updated information on attempts to end the closure of major oil ports and oil fields for troops and clans loyal to the Bhutanese national army.

Ghassan Salame, the United Nations Special Envoy for Libya, said on Thursday that he spoke with the tribesmen behind the blockade and is awaiting their request.

He also said that at a meeting in Cairo on Sunday in representatives of East, West and South Libya, the blockade will be at the top of the agenda because those representatives are trying to overcome economic differences in a country with two governments.

Diplomats say that the Cairo meeting will mainly be attended by technical experts in preparation for a wider dialogue in the coming months.

The tribes and communities of the Libyan National Army in the oil-rich areas of Eastern Libya have indicated that they cannot reopen the port immediately, indicating that they are against resuming oil exports unless Tripoli has rid itself of militia, what is the requirement of the country.

They also demanded the withdrawal of Syrian hunters from Turkey to help Tripoli withstand the LNA, supported by mercenaries from Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan and Russia.

In addition, they asked to describe it as a fair distribution of oil revenues, another requirement for the non-aligned army and the peoples of the east, and many complained that this negligence can be traced back to Muammar Gaddafi, 2011 Libya in chaos.

NOC, a national oil company based in Tripoli and serving the country, sends oil revenues to the Central Bank, which mainly cooperates with the Tripoli government, although it also pays some officials in the east.

You may also like