Turkey earthquake: 70-year-old man rescued from rubble as death toll hits 51

Turkey earthquake: 70-year-old man rescued from rubble as death toll hits 51

By

Izmir: As rescuers continue to conduct search and rescue operations, the death toll from the catastrophic earthquake on Friday increased to 51, which hit the country’s Aegean coast and the Greek Islands.

However, miraculously, a 70-year-old man was buried in the rubble for 33 hours before being pulled out of the rubble of a flat building in western Turkey early on Sunday morning.

The man, identified as Ahmet Citim, was rescued from the rubble of the residential “Riza Bey” building, one of the 20 residencies that collapsed during the earthquake.

Officials said that due to lack of earthquake resistance, 20 buildings in the Bayrakli area of Izmir were destroyed, and the area is undergoing urban reconstruction.

Turkey crosses the fault line and is prone to earthquakes. In 1999, two strong earthquakes killed 18,000 people in northwestern Turkey.

The Friday earthquake, which the Istanbul-based Kandilli Institute said had a magnitude of 6.9, was centered in the Aegean Sea, northeast of Samos.

President Tayyip Erdogan said 885 people had been injured, 15 of them critically.

You may also like