Washington: US President Donald Trump cut off funding to the World Health Organization on Tuesday, accusing the UN agencies of dealing with the coronavirus crisis when and when the government returned the struggling economy to normal operation.
Since its first outbreak in China at the end of last year, this deadly pandemic has killed more than 125,000 people and infected nearly 2 million people worldwide.
As countries take blockade measures to curb their spread, the new coronavirus has also destroyed the lives of billions of people. This has undoubtedly reduced the number of deaths, but it has also plunged the global economy.
As the number of deaths and new infections begin to stabilize, world leaders and citizens are fiercely debating when to release permanent orders.
Trump said he could see “rays of light” on the horizon for the world s largest economy, but launched a virulent attack on the WHO for “severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.”
He accused the Geneva-based agency of propagating “false information” and charged that its reliance on Chinese data had “likely caused a 20-fold increase in cases worldwide.”
The US contributed $400 million to the WHO last year.
Trump had made no secret of his contempt for what he calls a “China-centric” institution, but his caustic barbs raised hackles — especially when the crisis is far from over.
It was “not the time to reduce the resources” of WHO, said UN chief Antonio Guterres in response to Trump s remarks, adding the organization was “absolutely critical to the world s efforts to win the war” against the virus.
On the day after Spain allowed construction and factory workers to return to work, some shops in Austria and Italy reopened on Tuesday.
But France extended its national embargo for another month, and India extended its injunction of 1.3 billion people to at least May 3.
Terrible economic forecasts flooded in throughout the day.