Washington: Former U.S. President Donald Trump announced a lawsuit against Facebook, Twitter and Google on Wednesday, intensifying his years of free speech disputes with tech giants, which he believes wronged him Review.
“I’m filing, as the lead class representative, a major class-action lawsuit against the big tech giants including Facebook, Google and Twitter as well as their CEOs, Mark Zuckerberg, Sundar Pichai and Jack Dorsey — three real nice guys,” Trump announced at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey.
The nation’s top tech firms have become the “enforcers of illegal, unconstitutional censorship,” added the 75-year-old Republican, who was banned from posting on Facebook and Twitter after his repeated false claims of 2020 election fraud fueled the violent January 6 siege of the US Capitol by his supporters.
Trump is being joined in the suit by the America First Policy Institute. They have invited thousands of citizens who have been “de-platformed” from social media sites to sign on.
“We are standing up for American democracy by standing up for free speech rights of every American — Democrat, Republican, independent, whoever it may be,” Trump said. “This lawsuit is just the beginning.”
Legal experts say that this case-which may or may not be treated as a class action, a court-granted designation, not just an announcement by the litigant-is unlikely to receive attention.
But Trump’s team and the Republican National Committee quickly raised funds from it.
Trump filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court in Southern Florida, seeking to immediately stop review, blacklisting, and what he called “removal” of people who share his political views.
He emphasized that he is not seeking any form of solution. He said: “We are fighting a battle we will win.”
The lawsuit came as Congress tried to curb the power of large technology companies. Last month, the House of Representatives advanced a comprehensive reform of antitrust laws on the business practices of Google, Apple, Amazon, and Facebook.