Saudi reports first coronavirus death as infections spike 1

Saudi reports first coronavirus death as infections spike

By

Riyadh: According to the Ministry of Health, Saudi Arabia reported Tuesday that it died of a new coronavirus for the first time, as the total number of infections increased to 767.

The Ministry of Agriculture said that an Afghan resident living in the western city of Medina died of the virus and also reported 205 new infections, the biggest jump in the country in one day.

Saudi Arabia, which has the largest number of infections in the Gulf, is said to have imposed a national curfew and curfew on Monday to limit the spread of the deadly disease COVID-19.

The largest economy in the Arab world has also closed cinemas, shopping malls and restaurants, halted flights and suspended pilgrimages year-round for struggling to control the virus.

King Salman warned on Thursday that the country will face a “tougher” battle in the face of Saudi Arabia, as the kingdom faces a double blow from a virus-induced shutdown and a dip in oil prices.

Last week, Saudi Arabia announced incentives totaling 120 billion riyals ($ 32 billion) to support business development, and said it plans to raise loans to 50% of gross domestic product (GDP).

Similar limitations and stimuli have been reported in other Gulf states, with more than 2,100 coronavirus infections to date.

In the neighboring United Arab Emirates, authorities said that all passenger flights and transit suspensions announced a day ago would be suspended for two weeks and begin Tuesday at 11:59 PM (GMT 1959).

Dubai International Airport is the world’s busiest international passenger airport, with 86.4 million passengers last year.

Oman also said it would suspend all passenger flights to and from Mussandam, United Arab Emirates from March 29.

The UAE said on Tuesday that a woman was arrested after the woman posted a video reportedly “encouraging people to fight against social alienation guidelines.”

Residents near Bahrain registered the third death of the virus on Tuesday.

According to state media reports, the Kuwaiti cabinet said anyone who intentionally spread the virus could face up to ten years in prison.

Kuwait has so far registered 191 cases and has taken the most stringent measures in the Gulf region, mainly by blocking the country to combat the spread of COVID-19.

On Tuesday it said it would set up a fund to collect donations for efforts to fight the virus.

You may also like

%d bloggers like this: