Paris: A police source told Reuters the man allegedly attacked and injured two people with a carving knife on Friday. He is working with the police, saying he has targeted the weekly satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.
The attack took place in front of a building and Islamist militants shot Charlie Hebdo employees in 2015 for redrawing the cartoon featuring the prophet Mohammed.
It coincided with the start of the trial of 14 alleged accomplices in the Charlie Hebdo attack this month. The shooter in the attack killed 12 people.
A judicial source said the suspect’s detention had been extended on Saturday morning. Under French law, he will be subject to a formal investigation at the end of the proceedings.
The attacker’s suspect was released early Saturday morning and another person close to the suspect was arrested, possibly his former roommate at a hotel in north Paris.
On Saturday afternoon, seven people, including the suspect, were still in custody.
Police quickly detained the man suspected of carrying out the attack near the steps of an opera house some 500 meters away.