LAHORE: The Lahore High Court (LHC) on Saturday permitted to remove former prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s name from the Exit Control List without any conditions for a time period of four weeks.
On Friday, the LHC called the plea admissible regarding the removal of former premier Nawaz Sharif’s name from the ECL on a conditional basis — the government had said it would allow a ‘one-time permission’ provided Nawaz Sharif deposited surety bonds worth Rs7-7.5 billion.
In its decision, the LHC said that in case Nawaz’s health doesn’t improve then the time-period can be extended, adding that the government officials will be able to contact Nawaz through the Pakistani embassy.
During the hearing today, the LHC presented petitioner Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz and the federal government’s counsels a proposed draft on the undertaking.
The High Court earlier said that it would create its own draft of Shehbaz’s undertaking guaranteeing the return of his brother — Nawaz Sharif — to Pakistan, after the siblings and the government’s counsels could not reach an agreement on the phrasing of the draft and its terms.
When asked about the court’s recommended draft, Shehbaz Sharif’s lawyer Ashtar Ausaf said that it is acceptable to the party as the government’s stance was rejected.
The federal government counsels have taken the proposed draft to consult higher-ups.
Earlier in the hearing, Shehbaz submitted a draft of the undertaking to the court, saying that he would “facilitate” Nawaz’s return to Pakistan following his treatment abroad.
The LHC had asked for a written affidavit from the Sharif family guaranteeing that Nawaz would return to Pakistan after he has regained his health.