Myanmar charges Suu Kyi, giving legal basis to detain her

Myanmar charges Suu Kyi, giving legal basis to detain her


Yangon: The police made the first formal accusation against her Aung San Suu Kyi. Her allies stated on Wednesday that they accused her of possessing an illegally imported walkie-talkie and provided the military authorities that staged the coup with legal reasons for her Detained for two weeks.

The charge came to light two days after she was placed under house arrest and appeared to be an effort to lend a legal veneer to her detention, though the generals have previously kept her and others locked up for years.

The military announced Monday that it would take power for one year — accusing Suu Kyi’s government of not investigating allegations of voter fraud in recent elections. Suu Kyi’s party swept that vote, and the military-backed party did poorly.

National League for Democracy spokesman Kyi Toe confirmed the charge against Suu Kyi that carries a maximum sentence of three years in prison. He also said the country’s ousted president, Win Myint, was charged with violating the natural disaster management law. A leaked charge sheet dated Feb. 1 indicates they can be held until Feb. 15.

“It was clear that the military were going to look for some legal cases against the leaders of the National League for Democracy and especially Aung San Suu Kyi to actually legitimize what they’ve tried to do,” said Larry Jagan, an independent analyst of Myanmar affairs. “And that is really a power grab.”

Police and court officials in the capital Naypyitaw could not immediately be contacted.

At the same time that authorities were working to keep Suu Kyi in detention, hundreds of lawmakers who had been forced to stay at government housing after the coup were told Wednesday to leave the capital city within 24 hours and go home, said a member of Parliament from Suu Kyi’s party who is among the group. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he feared drawing the attention of the military.

The coup d’etat was a major step backward from Myanmar’s progress towards democracy and highlighted the extent to which the generals ultimately controlled the Southeast Asian country.

In response to the coup, Suu Kyi’s party called for nonviolent resistance. In Yangon, Myanmar’s largest city, dozens of people honked their horns and beaten pots and pans in protest on Tuesday night. Military supporters also held demonstrations.

The medical staff also announced that they would not work for the new military government to protest the coup. At the time, the country was fighting the rising number of COVID-19 cases, and its health system was severely inadequate. The photos were shared on social media, showing photos with red ribbons pinned to the clothes of health workers or holding printed red ribbons.

Protests also took place in neighboring Thailand. Myanmar national Khin Maung Soo said on Wednesday that he was demonstrating “to show the world that we are not satisfied with what happened.”

He added: “We want the world to know, and we also want the world to help us.”

The acquisition marked a shocking fall from Power Aung San Suu Kyi, who lived under house arrest for many years, tried to move her country towards democracy, and then became the de facto leader after her party in the 2015 elections Won the Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Suu Kyi was a fierce critic of the military during the year he was detained. However, after turning from a democratic icon to a politician, she cooperated with generals and even defended the suppression of Rohingya Muslims, damaging her international reputation.

The international community that enthusiastically supports Myanmar’s nascent democracy is now facing its test. The United States threatened sanctions and marked the acquisition as a coup. The UN Security Council held an emergency meeting on Tuesday but took no action.

The foreign ministers of the major industrial countries of the Group of Seven countries issued a statement on Wednesday calling for the release of Suu Kyi and others and the restoration of the right to democratically elect governments.

The new leader of Myanmar said that the military government plans to investigate suspected fraud in the general election last year. The state-run “Global Myanmar Shin Kong” said that senior general Min Aung Hlaing announced the move at the first meeting of his new government in the capital on Tuesday.

The military cited the government’s failure to properly investigate allegations of electoral misconduct as one of the reasons for the coup, but the state union election committee said there were no major issues with voting.

Analysts say that the overwhelming victory of the Suu Kyi party may surprise the military-and cause generals to worry about its too much power, even though the constitution has been carefully written to ensure that the military maintains important control, including the allocation of 25% of the seats in parliament.

Min Aung Hlaing also said that COVID-19 containment measures taken by Suu Kyi’s government would be continued.

Myanmar has confirmed more than 140,600 cases including some 3,100 deaths. Its health care infrastructure is one of the weakest in Asia, according to U.N. surveys.

A statement issued Wednesday in the name of the executive members of Suu Kyi’s party said that authorities began raiding the party’s offices in Mandalay and other states and regions on Tuesday and seized documents and laptop computers.

The statement on the Facebook page of party spokesman Kyi Toe said locks were broken at several offices. It denounced the raids as illegal and demanded that they stop.

You may also like

%d bloggers like this: