London: Altaf Hussain, the founder of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement, will stand trial in the Kingston Royal Court in the United Kingdom in January next year for allegedly using hate speech and encouraging acts of terrorism.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed that Hussain’s trial will start on January 31, 2022 and last for about three weeks.
The MQM founder had sought to delay his trial indefinitely, citing serious health issues and COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, sources said.
CPS confirmed that Hussein’s trial was postponed twice due to the pandemic and his own health problems.
From mid-December last year to January 12, 2021, the leader of MQM spent nearly a month at Barnet Hospital, after he was taken to an ambulance because of severe COVID-19 symptoms.
After returning home, Hussein fell ill again a week later and spent a week in the hospital. His doctor told the court that he was suffering from multiple forms of severe infection, accompanied by pneumonia.
Since the last three months, the MQM founder has been doing well and has made several live speeches to his followers on social media.