Tehran: Iran announced on Tuesday that a further 135 new coronavirus deaths have brought the total death toll in the worst affected country to 988.
“Reports by more than 56 laboratories indicated that we have had 1,178 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection in the past 24 hours,” health ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said in a televised news conference.
“This brings the total number of confirmed cases to 16,169 as of today noon,” he added.
Jahanpour also said 5,389 people who were infected had been discharged from hospitals “with general good health”.
Tehran province recorded the highest number of new infections with 273 fresh cases.
Alborz, to the west of Tehran, was next with 116, followed by East Azerbaijan with 78.
“As of this morning, more than 15 million of our countrymen have been screened” for symptoms, he said.
The official repeated his call to Iranians to stay at home during the outbreak and asked them to report possible symptoms on the government’s website.
The website uses its ID number to identify the person and asks if they have symptoms such as a cough or fever.
It was also asked whether someone suspected of being infected with the virus was receiving treatment or had recently recovered.
If the symptoms are not severe, they are advised to stay at home and tell them where the nearest medical center is.