Tehran: On the eve of the new nuclear talks, Iran and Russia jointly warned the United States and Europe on Tuesday that the attack on the Natanz atomic base and the new EU sanctions may harm ongoing negotiations.
Iran on Monday accused its enemy Israel of destroying its Natanz uranium enrichment plant and vowed to “retaliate” and expand its nuclear activities.
A few days ago, the latest series of incidents on Iran’s nuclear program came a few days after the talks on the 2015 deal that brought the United States back to trouble in Vienna, which was later abandoned by U.S. President Donald Trump in 2018. This transaction.
Israel is not responsible for the sabotage, but Israel firmly opposes the efforts of US President Biden to restore the agreement.
After talks with his visiting Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov, Iranian Foreign Mohammad Javad Zarif warned the US it would gain no extra leverage in Vienna through “acts of sabotage” and sanctions.
“The Americans should know that neither sanctions nor acts of sabotage will give them negotiation tools and these acts will only make the situation more difficult for them,” Zarif told a joint news conference.
He also hit out at Israel. “If (Israel) thought that they can stop Iran from following up on lifting sanctions from the Iranian people, then they made a very bad gamble. “What they did in Natanz, they thought it would reduce Iran s leverage” in Vienna talks but “it makes it possible for Iran … to use any capacity it has at Natanz,” he said.
Iran would make the enrichment plant “more powerful” by using advanced centrifuges, he added. Unsourced Israeli media reports attributed the Natanz disruption to a “cyber operation” by the Israeli security services.
The New York Times, quoting unnamed US and Israeli intelligence officials, also said there had been “an Israeli role” in the attack in which an explosion had “completely destroyed” the power system that fed the plant s “underground centrifuges”.
The company quoted another unnamed intelligence source on Tuesday, adding “smuggled explosive devices” to the scene and “detonating them remotely,” thereby taking away the main and reserve forces. The White House stated that the United States “has no involvement.”