Tehran: Iran said on Saturday that as the number of confirmed cases increased again, the new corona virus claimed 97 lives, bringing the total to 611.
Health ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said that “1,365 fresh cases have been added to the number of confirmed infections in the past 24 hours”, bringing the total to 12,729.
Jahanpur said at a televised press conference that so far 4,300 cases of confirmed infection have recovered.
There are 347 new cases in Tehran province, followed by Isfahan in 155 cases and Alborz in the northern region with 134 cases.
“Naturally, the number of confirmed cases will increase” even more as Iran steps up its laboratory sampling and tests, he said.
The Iranian outbreak is one of the deadliest events outside of China where the disease originated.