Kabul: NATO and Afghan officials said that a major US air force base north of Kabul was hit by rockets on Saturday, but there were no casualties or damage to the airport.
Five rockets were fired at Bagram Airfield in Parwan province at 6:00 am, said Waheeda Shahkar, spokeswoman for the provincial governor.
She said 12 rockets were mounted on a vehicle and five of them were fired at the base, while police defused the other seven.
A NATO official also confirmed the rocket attack.
“Rockets were fired towards Bagram Airfield this morning. Initial reporting is there were no casualties and the airfield was not damaged,” the official said.
No organization immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, and the Taliban denied any involvement.
The Islamic State Group previously claimed responsibility for similar rocket attacks at the base in April.
In recent months, IS claimed to have carried out several attacks on Kabul, including two rocket attacks, which attacked multiple residential areas in the capital and caused deaths.
The organization also claimed to have carried out a brutal attack on two independent education centers in Kabul, killing dozens of people, most of them students.
On Saturday, a day after the rocket attack on the airfield occurred, a motorbike carrying explosives exploded near a religious gathering in the eastern province of Ghazni, killing 15 children.
Afghan officials accused the Taliban of the bombing.
Violence has surged in Afghanistan in recent months despite the government and the Taliban launching peace talks to end the country’s grinding war.
The Taliban has carried out near-daily attacks targeting Afghan forces that have left hundreds of security personnel killed or wounded.
Earlier this week in Qatar, General Mark Milley, the US chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, held a rare meeting with Taliban representatives, calling on them to reduce violence in Afghanistan.