Azerbaijan troops enter first district ceded by Armenia

Azerbaijan troops enter first district ceded by Armenia

By

Baku: Azerbaijan said on Friday that its forces had entered the area bordering Nagorno-Karabakh, which was formerly home to Armenian separatists, and this was the result of an agreement between Russia and the country to end fighting in the area for several weeks Part of the agreement.

The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said that on the second day after Armenian soldiers and tanks evacuated from the territory, the troops entered the Agdam area, one of the three ceded areas.

Azerbaijan will also restore the Kalbajar district, which took root between Nagorno-Karabakh and Armenia on November 25, and the Lachin district before December 1.

The Armenian residents of Aghdam hurriedly picked pomegranates from the trees around their houses, packed their trucks with furniture, and fled before the deadline for the final ceding of the mountains.

Before the handover, the residents burned down their houses, leaving everything for their painful opponents.

Fierce clashes between Azerbaijan s forces and Armenian separatists broke out in late September in the Nagorno-Karabakh region. The fighting lasted six weeks, leaving thousands dead and displacing many more.

The ex-Soviet adversaries agreed to end hostilities last week within the framework of a accord brokered by Moscow that includes deployment of Russian peacekeepers and the cession by Armenia of swathes of territory.

Turkey has said that some of its forces would also observe the ceasefire arrangements from a coordination centre in Azerbaijan, but Putin has emphasised that Turkish troops would not be present in Nagorno-Karabakh.

You may also like