Melbourne: Since the beginning of the pandemic, Australia has experienced the deadliest day since the death of the coronavirus. Despite the in-depth lockdown by the authorities, the authorities reported 10 deaths on Sunday and the number of new infections rose.
The country’s COVID-19 death toll has risen to 155, and the southeastern state of Victoria has reported more than 450 new infections in the past 24 hours.
Victorian Prime Minister Daniel Andrews expressed concern about this. He said that 10 people died between the ages of 40 and 80, and 7 of them were related to the outbreak of elderly care facilities.
According to Agence France-Presse, this is the worst loss of life from the Australian virus since the disease first appeared.
So far, Australia has avoided the worst damage of the pandemic, with a total of 14,000 cases recorded, which is less than the number of records in a single day in many hardest-hit countries.
But the second wave of infections is testing the country’s acclaimed response to the infectious disease.
Although 5 million people have spent the last two weeks of the lockdown in Greater Melbourne in recent days, the number of new cases remains high.
The city must wear masks, and Victoria is effectively isolated from the rest of the country.
The police and military are guarding national borders and visiting houses to enforce quarantine orders.
Despite this, Victoria reported 459 new cases on Sunday, compared with 357 on Saturday. In other parts of Australia, there are about a dozen records.
“These things change rapidly, but we have to say these numbers are far too high,” Andrews said.