Yerevan: Separatist officials in the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh said Saturday that three fighters were wounded in a skirmish with Azerbaijani forces, undermining a recent peace deal brokered by Russia.
The defence ministry in the ethnically Armenian province said in a statement that Azerbaijani troops attacked Friday evening and that “three Armenian servicemen were injured during the ensuing gunfight”.
Separatists backed by Armenia and Azerbaijan fought for six weeks between the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region. Last month, the two sides reached an agreement and reached a peace agreement. The Armenians relinquish the disputed territory. territory.
More than 5,000 people including civilians were killed during the fighting in the Caucasus between the ex-Soviet rivals, which fought a war in the 1990s over the mountainous region.
Nearly 2,000 Russian peacekeepers have deployed to the region and Baku’s close ally Turkey has said it will monitor the truce from an observation centre in Azerbaijan.