Turkey virus death toll exceeds 3,000

Turkey virus death toll exceeds 3,000

By

Ankara: The health minister said on Wednesday that the official death toll from the new coronavirus in Turkey has risen to 3,081.

Fahrettin Koca said in a tweet that there have been 89 deaths and 2,936 new cases in the past 24 hours.

The total number of reported infections is currently 117,589, as Turkey remains the worst affected country in the Middle East.

During a press conference earlier on Wednesday, Koca said Turkey was now in the “peak period”, adding: “We see a downward trend” in new cases.

He added 7,428 health workers had been infected, which is around 6.5 percent of the total number of cases.

Turkey has taken a series of measures to prevent the spread of the virus, including the closure of schools, restaurants and other public places.

In 31 cities, including Ankara and Istanbul, there is also a curfew, with the three-day lock-up starting on Friday, a public holiday.

In recent days, Turkish officials have expressed optimism that the situation will improve in late May, as the month of fasting for Muslims also ends.

“In the coming period, we can ease the measures in cities where there are less cases,” Koca said in Ankara.

The government has also stepped up the number of tests with nearly a million undertaken since the first recorded case in March.

You may also like