Karachi: The Sindh provincial government has decided to promote all students studying in grades 1 to 8 based on previous achievements, Provincial Education Minister Saeed Ghani announced on Tuesday.
Addressing a press conference here in Karachi, Saeed Ghani said schools in the province will not be opened from June 1 and the decision regarding extension in school closure will be announced in coming days.
He said the decision of the federal government to promote students in grades 9-12 without holding board exams is a bit complicated, and the center acknowledges this.
He pointed out that the law pertaining to board exams do not allow the promotion of students who have not appeared. “In order to promote Grade-9-12 students, the law will have to be amended,” Ghani added.
It must be noted that Federal Education Minister Shafqat Mehmood announced on Thursday that all board exams across the country will be cancelled as part of measures to curb the spread of COVID-I9.
He delivered a speech after the meeting of the National Coordinating Committee (NCC) in Islamabad. He said that the meeting had reached a consensus that all educational institutions across the country would be closed until July 15.
“All board exams have been cancelled and students of class 9th, 10th, 11, and 12 will be promoted for the next grade on the basis of results obtained in the previous class,” he added.
Earlier on May 11, all the presidents of private school management associations condemned the Federal Government ’s order to suspend academic activities in educational institutions until July 15 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Reading: The matrix exam, the intermediate exam is cancelled, the school will remain closed until July 15
Syed Tariq Shah said in a statement that private schools rejected the federal government’s decision to close educational institutions until July 15.
He asked federal authorities to grant permission to private educational institutions after establishing standard operating procedures (SOPs).