Pakistan strongly condemns heinous terrorist attack in UAE

Pakistan strongly condemns cowardly attack on residence of Iraqi PM

By

Islamabad: Pakistan strongly condemns the cowardly attack on the Iraqi prime minister’s residence in Baghdad on Sunday.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that the safety of Prime Minister Mustafa Kadimi is gratifying.

It said that Pakistan is in solidarity with the brotherly Iraqi government and people.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that we express our heartfelt sympathy to the injured and pray for their speedy recovery.

It reiterated that Pakistan strongly condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations.

According to Agence France-Presse, Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhemi was unscathed in an “assassination attempt” earlier on Sunday when one of the drones filled with explosives attacked him. The residence in Baghdad, this is a new escalation of the country’s turmoil after the election.

Washington condemned the “apparent act of terrorism” while Iraqi President Barham Saleh called the attack, which was not immediately claimed by any group, an attempted “coup against the constitutional system”.

Kadhemi, aged 54 and in power since May 2020, appealed for “calm and restraint” before chairing a meeting at his office in the high-security Baghdad Green Zone, where the overnight attack took place.

Three drones were launched from near a Tigris River bridge but two were intercepted, according to security sources, who said two bodyguards were wounded.

Gunfire rang out and smoke rose from the Green Zone after the strike, which the premier’s office labelled a “failed assassination attempt”.

Photos issued by Kadhemi’s office showed debris strewn on the ground below a damaged exterior stairway and a door that had been dislodged.

Kadhemi said in a short video, “My residence has always been the target of cowards. Praise God, I am fine.”

Two days ago, security forces clashed with supporters of Iran-backed political parties who lost their support in the parliamentary elections on October 10 and accused them of being victims of voting violations.

The pro-Iranian Hashed al-Shaabi paramilitary network’s political branch of the Conquest (Fatah) coalition has dropped significantly, leading to its condemnation as “fraud”.

After the drone attack, Qais al-Khazali, the head of Assaib Ahl al-Haq, one of Hashid’s main pro-Iran groups, called for the perpetrators to be “brought to justice” .

You may also like