Beijing said on Thursday that it hopes that India will reconsider its actions against Chinese companies after it bans Chinese mobile apps after fatal border conflicts between Indian and Chinese soldiers.
Ministry of Commerce spokesperson Gao Feng told reporters in an online briefing that China has not taken any restrictive or discriminatory measures against Indian products and services, and added that India’s actions violated WTO rules.
On Monday, India banned 59 mobile applications on the grounds of security issues, most of which are Chinese mobile applications, including TikTok by Bytedance, Alibaba’s UC browser and Tencent’s WeChat.
The Ministry of Information Technology of India stated that these applications “undermine India’s sovereignty and integrity, India’s defense, national security and the security of public order”.
The ban came after a deadly border conflict between two nuclear armed countries earlier this month, in which 20 Indian soldiers died.
“The Ministry of Information Technology invoked its powers in accordance with the provisions of Article 69A of the Information Technology Law and read the relevant provisions of the 2009 Information Technology (Procedures and Safeguards Prohibiting Public Access to Information) Rules, taking into account the Information, threats have decided to block 59 applications because their activities are detrimental to India’s sovereignty and integrity, India’s defense, national security and public order.”
Ravi Shankar Prasad, Indian Minister of Electronics and Information Technology and Communications, said that this step was taken for “India’s security, defense, defense, sovereignty and integrity.”