China on Tuesday expressed strong concern about India’s ban on the use of Chinese mobile apps, as tensions continued to escalate after the two major Asian giants clashed in Ladakh a few weeks ago.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters in a daily briefing that India has a responsibility to safeguard the rights of Chinese companies.
New Delhi said in a statement that India banned 59 mobile apps on Monday due to security issues, most of which are Chinese-language mobile apps, including TikTok with byte beating, Alibaba’s UC browser and Tencent WeChat.
The Ministry of Information Technology said that these applications “damage India’s sovereignty and integrity, India’s defense, national security and the security of public order.”
The ban came after a deadly border conflict between two nuclear armed countries earlier this month, in which 20 Indian soldiers died.
“The Ministry of Information Technology, invoking it’s power under section 69A of the Information Technology Act read with the relevant provisions of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking of Access of Information by Public) Rules 2009 and in view of the emergent nature of threats has decided to block 59 apps since in view of information available they are engaged in activities which is prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order,” the press release said.
India’s Minister for Electronics and Information Technology and Communications Ravi Shankar Prasad said that the step was taken for “safety, security, defence, sovereignty and integrity of India.”